Physical Education is one of those things that almost everybody has a different opinion on. Whether it's the sportaholics (yes, I think I did make that word up) who are excited for the next PE class before the current one ends. Or, the anti-sports people who would rather have their legs cut off with a blunt edge than have to jog 100 metres.
Well I would probably be verging on the sportaholic side and so I've decided to compile a list of all the great reasons why you should remember your PE gear in future and take part in a fun, activity filled class.
1. Look Good. One of the most obvious reasons would be for the aesthetic benefits. Imagine being confident wearing whatever you want during the summer... Imagine how much that little hour of exercise every week could do for the "perfect summer body".
2. "Your Health Is Your Wealth." Regular exercise is good for the heart, it's good for the lungs, practically every part of your body benefits from exercise. Maybe you could add another year or two onto your life expectancy just by doing PE for the year.
3. "Take a break, have a kit-kat." You're in school from nine until quarter to four every day, maybe you're doing after school study and then possibly more study at home. Do you do anything other than study?! PE is a chance to take a break from it all, to relax and have some fun rather than stressing over exams. PE is the Department of Education practically telling you to stop studying for a while, use that to your advantage.
4. Vent Your Anger. Now I'm not saying sport is violent, neither am I condoning dirty play, but sport is a great way to vent your anger. If you're having a bad day, just play hard in PE, watch your mood lighten straight away.
5. Friendboats. Sport is a great way to make friends and I know this is just PE I'm talking about, but I bet there are people in you r class who you barely know. Well, you're sure to get to know them in PE!
6. Exercise Your Brain. Sports are proven to improve learning, memory and concentration. So, you want high points in the leaving? PE will help you get there!
7. To Win. I know a lot of people give out about competitive people but I believe there is competitiveness in all of us and everybody likes to win, don't deny it! So join in the game, get into the spirit and try you damnedest to win!
Some day in the future, I hope to see physical education compulsory in schools, possibly an extra 25 points in the leaving for those committed to PE. But for now, I'll just try to promote the class as best as possible. Tak part in PE the next day, enjoy it, gain from it (all on school time might I add?! No need to compromise your social life!) and see that there's truth behind all that I've said. So don't see PE as an obligation, see it as an opportunity and benefit from it what you can!
"Training gives us an outlet for suppressed energies created by stress and thus tones the spirit, just as exercise conditions the body." Arnold Schwarzenegger